Hidden tapas bars in narrow back streets. Rustic wooden tables. Full-bodied smoky flavours. Robust tastes of Spain in a bowl! This Spanish pan-stir uses chorizo – a spicy Spanish pork sausage, seasoned with paprika and garlic. You’ll find several brands of chorizo in supermarkets and delis (usually kept in the cold meats section).
For an authentic taste, add a very tiny pinch of smoked Spanish paprika to the dish in addition to the paprika indicated in the recipe.
THIS RECIPE IS:
HOW TO MAKE SPANISH CHICKEN AND CHORIZO PAN-STIR:
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- ½ green or red pepper, chopped
- 80 g – 100 g chorizo sausage, sliced or chopped
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) paprika
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) dried thyme
- 2 skinless chicken breast fillets (about 250 g – 350 g), diced
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) freshly crushed garlic
- 1 large ripe tomato, very coarsely chopped
- salt and milled black pepper to taste
- freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley to garnish (optional)
1. Heat oil in a frying pan. Sauté onion, pepper and chorizo.
2. Add paprika and thyme and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add chicken and garlic. Stir-fry over moderate heat until chicken is just cooked.
3. Add tomato. Stir-fry for 2 – 3 minutes, or until tomato is just cooked. The tomato should not become mushy! Chunks of semi-firm red tomato should still be visible in this dish. Season with salt and black pepper.
4. Spoon into bowls or soup plates. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Tip: Serve with a bowl of black olives on the side, or add some olives to the pan-stir.
LIVE THE LOW-CARB LIFE… WITH REAL FOOD
Dalene Crafford is a professional recipe developer, food stylist and food tutor who creates wellness recipes with an indulgent touch. Her passion is low-carb and gluten-free recipes.
Her Real Food recipes are developed for busy people on the go. They are quick, easy, foolproof and scrumptious!
- Get a taste of Dalene’s recipes at www.conca.co.za.